Welcome to Vistaserv.net
Welcome! Vistaserv.net is a grass-roots web hosting initiative hailing from Thornbury, Australia. Inspired by the quirky web of the 90s, we allow users to create home pages, your own little sandbox on the World Wide Web, as it were.
We started Vistaserv because we want to create a virtual local community on the Internet, while giving people a place online that they can truly customise and call their own. Hopefully, we can share some of the wonderment and excitement of the early web, before big corporate walled gardens came along and told us what our online profiles should look like.
Go wild, add animated GIFs, select a garish colour scheme for your home page. Do everything you'd like to, with nobody to tell you it's not sufficiently Web 2.0! It's easy and totally free to use. We encourage you to take inspiration from what others have done, and learn a little HTML in the process!
What's happening at Vistaserv?
- 09-JAN-2022 Post-incident write-up of session-swapping bug. Users recently reported a rare situation where they ended up logged in as another user they didn't recognise. We've investigated and fixed the issue – here's the write-up.
- 28-NOV-2021 Multiple pages! Finally, you can add multiple pages to your Vistaserv home page. When you're in the editor, just change the index.html filename to something else and hit save, and you'll have a new page.
- 19-AUG-2020 Moved to different web host We've moved to a different web host, and with a bit of luck things will be quite a bit faster now. There were some hiccups while migrating (apologies!) but it should all be stable now. If you see anything weird, let us know at webmaster at vistaserv dot net.
- 17-JUL-2020 Fancy HTML editor! Good news, everyone! Our esteemed friend dmisdm has helped us vastly improve our homepage builder. We now have a nice HTML editor with hints about what all the tags do, syntax highlighting, and more! Quick, go check it out! :)
- 18-JUN-2020 old.vistaserv.net Do you have an antique browser, and don't want to miss out on that Vistaserv goodness? Pine for it no more, and head on over to http://old.vistaserv.net – we're now serving the read-only bits of Vistaserv in the clear, for backwards compatibility.
- 12-JUN-2020 Personalised swag If you have always wanted real-life proof of your amazing Vistaserv creation, head on over to your home page and have a look at your mug, bottom-right. If you've recently created your site, be aware there's a delay – it's still a slow process so it might take a while to get added.
- 01-JUN-2020 Webring beta released! It took us ages, but we finally got around to releasing a first rough cut of a webring feature! See it in action on this ever-changing random home page, it makes discovering home pages so much easier.
- 22-MAY-2020 Webmaster's Weekly Round-Up - 22 May 2020. Another week of cool home pages we've discovered on Vistaserv.
- 15-MAY-2020 Webmaster's Weekly Round-Up - 15 May 2020. The first in a weekly showcase of creative, weird and wonderful home pages from Vistaserv members.
- 11-MAY-2020 Guest Book fixed!. As many of you will have noticed, the Guest Book was glitchy yesterday :(. Thankfully, it was just bad coding on paul's part, and that has been fixed. No messages were lost, the DB query to display them was just doing a LIMIT 100 and showing.. the 100 oldest messages. Facepalm.
- 09-MAY-2020 Convincing-looking 90s fonts in modern browsers. We have added a thrilling blog post (our first!) about our journey towards making this web site look as retro as it does, by creating our own pixellated fonts.
Featured home pages
- Barinder's home page – adding academic gravitas to Vistaserv since the beginning.
- Gord's home page – amazing web-safe pictures, proving that foxes are, indeed, quite neat!
- Andy's Way Rad Homepage – if this doesn't make you feel like you're back on Geocities in the 90s, nothing will.
- Yot's Hangout Page – pixellated graphics, helpful links for building your Vistaserv home page, and a very cool dynamic menu.
- hanaro's home page – If this bar's cocktails are as good as the MIDI file on their home page, then it's pretty amazing! Kudos to another intrepid business owner choosing Vistaserv for their multimedia marketing needs!
Recent Home Pages:
Today's News: 29-JUN-1996
- House Republicans Offer Campaign Finance Plan
- Giuliani Scolds State Over Harlem Concert
- High Court Splits On Indecency Law Covering Cable Tv
- 3% Rise For Auto Insurance
- Current Account Deficit Narrows In Britain
- Government Contractors Get First Amendment Shield
- As Atlantic City Thrives, Whitman May Call A Casino Bluff
- Police Say A Drug Ring Offered Home Delivery
- Inflation Fear Falls, Sending Long Bond Up
- Fund Plans To Lend $50 Million For Jobs, Not Profit, In New York